Work in Bath stone was begun in 1789 by architect Thomas Baldwin and continued by John Palmer from 1793 with the building finally completed after a decade in construction in 1799.
Contemporary visitors to the Pump Room can take the waters from the same spring which empties into the Roman Baths next door.
The Pump Room's celebrated restaurant is known for its delicious, though costly, afternoon teas (20 GBP+) and the music of the Pump Room Trio - the longest established resident ensemble in Europe.
The Pump Room is mentioned in Jane Austen's novel Northanger Abbey and when first opened there were no tables or chairs as guests mingled and chatted while taking the warm Bath spring water for their health - often six cups before breakfast!
The Pump Room
Tel: 01225 44 4477
Open daily for morning coffee from 9.30am-12.00; lunch from 12.00-2.30pm. Afternoon tea is served between 2.30pm and 5pm. Admission free.
Hotels and Guesthouses in the UK
Hotels and Guesthouses in Torquay