Home    UK City Guides     London     Contact     Hotels     UK Travel     Maps

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Holy Trinity Church in Bradford-on-Avon

Holy Trinity Church in Bradford-on-Avon (see below) was the parish church for all of Bradford-on-Avon until 1841. Holy Trinity's foundation is Norman, and it was built on, or near, the site of a Saxon monastery.

The chancel is mostly Norman, but the chancel arch was replaced in 1500 AD, and the chancel was lengthened. The Norman nave was not that much smaller than the present one, but it had no side aisles. The west tower is Perpendicular in style.

Holy Trinity has two chantry chapels, one founded by Thomas Horton, a wealthy clothier who died in 1530. The interior still hosts tombs dating from the 14th century, a 15th century font and a fine carving of the head of a young woman, which probably dates from the 13th century.

Holy Trinity Church, Bradford-on-Avon
Approaching the church from the west, the visitor can view the west tower (see below) of Holy Trinity Church in Bradford-on-Avon to its full advantage.

Holy Trinity Church, Bradford-on-Avon

Holy Trinity Church is located on Church Street in Bradford-on-Avon. The church is only open during services. Visitors to Holy Trinity Church may also want to visit the adjacent Saxon Church of St Laurence, or view nearby Town Bridge or Abbey Mill.

Holy Trinity Church
Church St
Bradford-on-Avon
BA15 1LN
Tel: 01225 864444

Holy Trinity Church in Bradford-on-Avon Map

© 2011 John Westby

Books on Devon & Cornwall
Hotels and Guesthouses in the UK
Hotels and Guesthouses in Bath UK

No comments: