Home    UK City Guides     London     Contact     Hotels     UK Travel     Maps

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tower of Former Church of St Mary Dartington

Close to Dartington Hall is the Tower of Former Church of St Mary Dartington, built in the 13th century.


Only the tower, which is closed to the public, remains as the rest of the church was knocked down in 1878. The tower is surrounded by a number of grave stones.


In World War II the tower was used by the US army as a radio communications centre.


The top of the tower was probably added in the 15th century and when the body of the church was demolished in the 19th century some of the stone was used to build the new Church of St Mary, designed by J. L. Pearson, located 1200 metres to the west.

Books on Devon & Cornwall
Hotels and Guesthouses in the UK
Hotels and Guesthouses in Bath UK

No comments: