Home    UK City Guides     London     Contact     Hotels     UK Travel     Maps

Monday, March 5, 2012

Eyam Church

St Lawrence is the parish church of the Derbyshire village of Eyam and its founding dates from Saxon times. The Eyam Parish Church of St. Lawrence is connected with the events of the plague that hit the village in the mid-17th century when the parishioners cut themselves off from the outside world to prevent the spread of the disease.


St Lawrence Parish Church in Eyam is a mix of original features of Saxon and Norman times as well as later restorations undertaken in the 17th century, when the tower was constructed, and again in the Victorian era, when further work on the church was done.

The church contains the original parish register from the plague times, noting the deaths at the time in the village, when 276 people out of the total of 350 inhabitants of Eyam perished from the infectious disease.


The graveyard of Eyam Church contains an eighth-century Celtic Cross, decorated with a mix of pagan and Christian iconography. The Eyam cross may originally have served as a preaching cross.

Other features of note at St Lawrence's are the table tomb of Catherine Mompesson, the rector's wife at the time of the plague, and an 18th century sundial on the south wall of the church.



Close to the church and Eyam Hall are a set of wooden stocks.

Eyam is well-known as the Plague Village of the Black Death of 1665, when the villagers isolated themselves from the wider community to avoid further contagion of the deadly disease.
Eyam is a short drive from Buxton on the A623.

Eyam Church
Parish Office
Church Street
Eyam
Hope Valley
Derbyshire
S32 5QH

© Devon-Visitor.com

Books on Devon & Cornwall
Hotels and Guesthouses in the UK
Hotels and Guesthouses in Bath UK

No comments: