Home    UK City Guides     London     Contact     Hotels     UK Travel     Maps

Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin Tetbury

The Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin in Tetbury is the only Georgian church in Gloucestershire and has been the site of worship since 681AD. The current building was completed in 1781 under the direction of architect Francis Hiorne. The tower and spire (57 meters tall), however, date from medieval times.

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tetbury
The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin Tetbury

The interior of the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin features unusual box pews of dark oak (see below). The interior was reordered in 1992/1993 and Victorian elements were removed in order to restore the church's Georgian character.

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tetbury

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin is located on the A433 in southwest Tetbury.

Map of The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin Tetbury

© Britain-Visitor.com

No comments: